Camino Day 6: Puenta La Reina to Villatuerta

It was hot, sunny, and beautiful today. It felt like I always imagined Spain would feel. Our tired feet didn't much appreciate the weather though. We only walked 10 miles today, and it was hard to put one foot on front of the other, hard to keep going. We moved slowly over old Roman roads and dry, red earth. Huge griffon vultures curcled overhead as we burned in the Spanish sun, their white heads and dark wings deceptively like a bald eagle's from a distance. We finally called it a day at Villatuerta, arriving at the only albergue in town just in time to get the last two beds. I have never been so grateful for a bed in my life, as the next one was more than two miles on. Today I reflect on the mind's incredible ability to make beautiful things dark, and to find beauty in darkness. Tomorrow, I will work to see more beauty in the challenges, and take more joy in the small things.

Comments

Popular Posts