Camino Day 2: Orisson to Roncavalles

Today, I know joy. I also experienced pain, suffering, and struggle-- but those are not the things of which this day is made. Here's the short story: my groin is weak. I knew it going into this trek, but I was still surprised by the swiftness and intensity with which it struck.  Yesterday, it ached. By 30 minutes in this morning, it was on fire, and we faced 12 miles of uphill climb through the Pyrenees. By halfway up, I could not take a full step uphill on my left foot without excruciating pain. But I did not take the easy way out, the cutoff route down the mountain;  I persevered. I made it through the Pyrenees to Roncavalles, one slow, short step at a time. And there I found friendship and camaraderie,  acceptance and utter understanding, rest and love. Tonight, I fall asleep in a medieval monastery, content, with more joy in my heart than perhaps I have ever known. And I am grateful.

Comments

Popular Posts